Summer and comfort go hand in hand, but when you’re dealing with an air conditioner that isn’t giving the comfort you desire, you may need to think about air conditioner replacement. Take a few moments and think about this scenario: it’s only a few weeks in to the summer and you’re enjoying an easy day at home. As lunchtime nears, you recognize that it’s starting to feel awfully warm inside. You check the thermostat and all appears to be well with the settings, but the temperature is reading 85 degrees.
It’s a possibility that you rode it out as much as you could, but now it’s time to call in a pro and discover what’s wrong. So what does that mean for you as a homeowner? Well, there are a number of reasons that you may be facing air conditioner replacement. And considering the weather in Troy, you don’t want to be caught without what might be the single most substantial piece of home comfort equipment you own.
Here are a few things you should be on the lookout for if you think your air conditioner has stopped working:
- Insufficient air flow. If you sense a change in air flow, check for a blocked return-air or supply-air grille. Be sure all of these grilles are not covered by furniture or other items.
- Non-working outdoor fan. If you go outside to look at your air conditioner’s outdoor fan and it doesn’t run, you’ll want to give the experts at Edington Heating & Cooling Inc in Troy a call. That fan handles the transferring of heat from your home to the outdoors. If it doesn’t run, that heat transfer isn’t occurring and can cause a variety of issues, including overheating of the compressor and other potential internal problems.
- Outside obstructions. If your air conditioner is currently bordered by shrubbery or other potential obstructions, there could be a problem with enough air flow to the unit. Over time this could also mean that dirt and debris end up clogging your system and hurting its cooling abilities. Make certain your system is free from obstructions and is cleaned frequently to potentially reduce your chances of needing air conditioner replacement.
- Dirty filters. One of the most common problems that Edington Heating & Cooling Inc sees is improperly cared for filters. Dirty filters not only reduce airflow, they can also impact your system’s efficiency and can drive up your monthly energy costs. They also affect air quality and when allergy season is in full-swing, a dirty filter can have a great impact on your home comfort.
If you have checked all of these and your air conditioner still isn’t working, follow these step-by-step instructions, only going to the next step if the system doesn’t start.
- Check that the thermostat temperature set-point is set below indoor temperature, and the system switch is in the COOL position.
- Is the outdoor unit power supply switch "on"?
- Is the furnace/air handler power supply "on"?
- Check the house fuse box/breaker box for a blown fuse or tripped circuit breaker.
- If the system still does not operate, call Edington Heating & Cooling Inc at 937-558-9478.
Having a non-working air conditioner and dealing with air conditioner replacement doesn’t have to be a headache. Sure, your system may not be running , but that’s why the staff at Edington Heating & Cooling Inc in Troy is here to help. Give us a call at 937-558-9478.