While the cold season seems like it’s already been here for way too long, its influence on our heating bill is only beginning. Achieving low energy costs during the coldest months of the year can be a challenge, but that doesn’t mean you can’t take steps to potentially lower those costs. That’s why we’ve come up with a few furnace tips to help keep soaring heating bills at bay.
To start controlling your heating bills and enhancing your energy efficiency this winter, consider:
- Keeping your blinds open over the warmest hours of the day to bring sunlight in, warming your home naturally.
- Sealing cracks and crevices around your home’s windows and doors with caulk or weather stripping.
- Purchasing a programmable thermostat so that you can better control the temperature in your home, which will also increase energy efficiency.
- Cleaning or replacing your furnace filter every few months.
- Making sure your home’s heating vents are open and aren’t blocked by any obstructions
- Replacing your old furnace with a newer, more efficient model if your current furnace is more than 15 years old.
- Installing insulation to your attic to keep warm air from escaping.
- Checking your roof to make sure your shingles are intact, and that there aren’t holes or cracks that will need to be sealed.
Working to keep your energy bills to a minimum and energy efficiency at a maximum, is a year-round effort, one that can seem overwhelming at times. However, that doesn’t mean that you can’t take a few small steps to make sure you’re keeping your bills as low as possible. If you have any questions about the tips above or questions about how you can lower your heating bills, give us a jingle at 937-558-9478. Our experts are here to help ensure your home is comfortable all year long, even with the crazy Troy weather.