Whether you appreciate winter or favor the warmer months in Troy, a lot of us make adjustments to be sure our home’s temperature keeps us cozy. This can have a big impact on your energy bills, but there are steps you can take to bring monthly costs down.
- Assess the weather stripping – Over time, the seals around your windows and doors can crack or become weathered. Walk around your home to find any drafts that should be addressed.
- Take advantage of your blinds – If your windows have blinds, they can be valuable in keeping your house warm. Keep them open while the sun is still shining throughout the day, and make sure to close them at the end of the day, so the warmer air doesn’t escape.
- Change your filter – Check your filter routinely to see if it needs to be switched out. We suggest at least once every three months, but time between replacement can vary among households.
- Buy a programmable thermostat – It may seem like just a simple way to make sure your home keeps warm, but programmable thermostats can also help you reduce energy costs! You can arrange temperatures to be lower when you are away from the home or sleeping. Being more mindful of efficiency will help with heating costs.
- Add insulation to your attic – Check to see if you have an adequate amount of insulation. Because heat rises, insulation in your attic is a useful tool to reduce the chances of heat escaping.
- Schedule routine maintenance – Just like we visit the doctor to get checkups, your heating system needs a little attention, too. Hiring professionals to clean and maintain your system will give you piece of mind that your system is running effectively and efficiently. They can also identify small issues that could end up as more costly repairs if neglected.
- Assess your HVAC system – If it seems like your monthly heating costs are continually increasing—regardless your efforts to improve efficiency—it might be time to consider a replacement heating system. An expert at Edington Heating & Cooling Inc can help you review the performance of your HVAC system and walk through the selection of newer, more efficient models.
Not only will these steps reduce the amount of money you are having to spend on heating bills, but many of them can help your heating system operate more efficiently. More efficient energy use also improves the health of your equipment, which means your heating system will have a longer life.
If you would like routine maintenance on your heating system or would like an expert to provide more tips on reducing energy costs—we’ve got you covered. Give Edington Heating & Cooling Inc in Troy a call to begin. Contact our team at 937-558-9478 or arrange an appointment with us online.