You’re in the middle of the most bitter week of winter and you wake up trembling in a pile of blankets in bed. Your first thought is, “Why in the world has my furnace not kicked on?” Of course, you don’t want to leave yourself in a predicament like this where it feels like you’re predestined to suffer until morning to schedule furnace repair, but there are a few things you can check, as well as a couple things you can do, to stay ahead of the game and prep for a predicament like this.
Before You Experience Problems:
- Furnace service. Chilly nights and furnace repair can’t always be avoided, but having annual furnace service completed can help you avoid a chilly morning.
- Gather supplies. Find some room in a closet, drawer or another easily accessible area for blankets, a space heater, gloves, hats and any number of other accessories to keep you warm while your furnace isn’t running. It might seem inconvenient or unnecessary now, but it will be a relief when you need it most.
After You Suspect Your Furnace Quit Running:
- Check the circuit breaker. There’s a chance that the breaker to your furnace might have been tripped by a power surge or for a different reason. If this happens, switch the breaker back on and you might be set. If the breaker is turned off and you have switched it back on but your furnace still isn’t working, give us a call to schedule an appointment for furnace repair.
- Add layers and get cozy. That load of supplies we recommended above will come in handy here. Layers can help you retain body heat so you can stay cozy while waiting for your expert. Also, try to find something to do to keep your blood pumping, as more activity can help keep you warm.
- Stay safe. Employing something other than your furnace to heat your home can pose possible danger depending on the method you’re going with. It’s important to remember to never use heating methods developed for outdoor use – i.e. kerosene heaters, grills, or any other carbon monoxide producing methods. If you need to use another method, electric space heaters, fireplaces or wood stoves are your best bets.
No one wants to put up with furnace repair in the middle of winter after their furnace has quit running, but the opportunity is real if you don’t take the right steps. Give the pros at Edington Heating & Cooling Inc a call at 937-558-9478 if you have any questions about these tips, the furnace repair services provided or any other number of heating questions.